Building instructions and part lists
There are no building instructions und part lists available for the models shown on this web site. There are no engineering drawings available. To build the LEGO models only photographs from the real prototypes were used. All models are unique and not for sale.
Why doesn't building instructions exist?
The LEGO models I create are unique models which are created without using a typical LEGO building instruction. Normally I get inspired by real life prototypes which I see in the real world or on the internet. I would say that I "know" the most common 2000 lego shapes by heard. This gives me the opportunity to start building a LEGO model just in my mind. And what started as a thought continous with bricks in my fingers. With a lot of creativity, try and error my LEGO models come to life.
Building instructions for the green Water Cannon Truck
Create building instructions
Yes, it is correct that LEGO fans create their own building instructions from or for their models. Basis is a CAD-model of the LEGO model. If you want to enter the wide field of virtual LEGO building and creating custom builing instructions I recommend the site www.ldraw.org as a starting point. To be successful, profound computer knowledge is necessary.
Why do I not create building instructions for my models?
Due to following reasons I do not create and provide building instructions for my models:
- LEGO is a hobby with limited time. To create a suitable building instruction it will take 3 or 4 times as long as "just" to build the model. I simply do not have that time.
- Some of my models are rather big and/or complex. My computer or at least the CAD software tools won't be able to handle such big and complex files.
- For me it is not very creative if LEGO is build just using building instructions. If you want to get used to certain LEGO elements a standard LEGO set will work for the beginning before you create your own models. LEGO offers building instruction for official sets at their website as PDF download (http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/BuildingInstructions/default.aspx).
- Even if a custom building instruction would be available, the second problem would be the building material. I myself I do not trade or sell LEGO bricks. Most of my models require a lot of elements including some special elements which are not available in recent LEGO sets any more. They might be rarely available at www.bricklink.com but probably not in the required quantities. You might have to collect over a long time to get all the bricks you need to rebuild one of my models.
- Some folks are extremly greedy: they get hold of custom building instructions, rebuild the models and then sell them for a hell lot of money on ebay or elsewhere. Mostly in such cases the copyright holder and creater of the model (and the instructions) is neither asked nor notified. And of course he or she is not given any percentage of the gain from selling the model. Such unfair behaviour only could be avoided by not putting custom building instructions online.
Where to find building instructions from other LEGO fans?
No rule without exception
Building instructions are available for some selected train models (steam locomotives BR 10 and BR 80).
Parts lists for model from my books are here.
For my Police Water Cannons I have created building instructions (without parts lists) long time ago | more.
Building and selling my models
My building instructions are available for free. Building these models is only allowed for personal use. Building these models with the purpose of selling them and make your own profit is prohibited.
Building instructions on Open L-Gauge
Open L-Gauge is a community library for LEGO train models, available for free, to anyone. The goal of Open L-Gauge is to encourage the sharing of ideas, and make the LEGO train hobby more accessible to newcomers.
- Go to Open L-Gauge